As communities and individuals struggle with the impacts of COVID-19, I have been inspired by the ways people have come together to support and care for each other.
I want to make a difference, and I know you do, too. That is why, effective immediately, with any purchase of a dozen cookies or more, Pinckney Cookie Cafe will donate $5 to one of the following charities of your choice. Let’s help those in need and show we’re #InThisTogether — one cookie at a time.
Pinckney Cookie Cafe has built its business at farmers markets, which is why it’s important for me to give back to them now. The Seattle Farmers Market Association, of which the Ballard Farmers Market is a part, was the first neighborhood farmers market in Seattle and now holds markets where local farmers and artisans (including Pinckney Cookie Cafe!) can share their products with the community. Donating to the Seattle Farmers Market Association’s Farm Relief Fund will:
- Assist farmers dealing with natural disasters, pandemics or other emergencies that impact their production and income
- Help the fund reach its $50,000 goal by the end of 2020
Seattle Neighborhood Farmers Markets, which includes the U District and West Seattle markets, has also provided a home for Pinckney Cookie Cafe. Hosting the most (seven) farmers markets in Seattle, the association emphasizes increasing access to healthy, local foods for everyone, supporting sustainable family farms and educating consumers. Donating to the Seattle Neighborhood Farmers Markets' Good Farmer Fund will:
- Assist farms dealing with financial crisis, especially after extreme weather events, equipment loss or other emergencies
- Help small farms, especially newer farms, survive disaster and continue providing sustainable food
Based in Kirkland, WA, Pinckney Cookie Cafe is committed to supporting local producers, farmers and the community. Partnering with major Seattle-based businesses and philanthropists, the Seattle Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund grants funds to community-based organizations and nonprofits that assist vulnerable members in our city. Donating to the Seattle Foundation COVID-19 Response Fund will help support:
- Low-income residents, including those without access to healthcare
- Undocumented families
- Low-income workers, including those in the healthcare and service industries
- Residents who are more vulnerable to illness, and many more
I feel fortunate that during this time, I’m still able to support my employees and bake cookies, especially as many restaurants and restaurant employees are struggling. The Restaurant Workers' Community Foundation (RWCF) is striving to alleviate difficulties by supporting individual workers and small restaurants to weather this time and stay open. Funds donated to RWCF will:
- Provide direct relief for individual restaurant workers
- Provide zero-interest loans to restaurants
- Assist non-profit organizations supporting restaurants
The threats of COVID-19 extend beyond illness — with jobs and normal life disrupted, many households may be at greater risk of food insecurity. In response, Feeding America’s COVID-19 Response Fund is working to provide for the 37 million people who face hunger on a regular basis. Donating to them will help:
- Create an inventory of emergency food boxes to be distributed to food banks throughout the country
- Provide food to students who normally depend on school meals
- Provide emergency grants to food banks
- Donate non-food household items to those in need, such as cleaning supplies or personal care products
With schools shuttered, around 30 million kids and teenagers lack access to the school-provided meals they relied on. The Boys & Girls Club is determined to combat this. The organization, which aims to provide safe places for young people, has extended its services to further support kids and teenagers, as well as the people on the front lines of the pandemic. Donating to them will:
- Provide meals and bottled water to those who need them
- Support families of first responders
- Provide digital educational programming so students can continue learning
In times of crisis, it is more important than ever to remember that we are #InThisTogether. Every human life matters, and supporting GiveDirectly helps support families experiencing extreme poverty, who may not otherwise have the financial resources to give or receive care if someone becomes ill. In response to COVID-19, GiveDirectly is providing digital cash to low-income groups in Africa. Donating to them will:
- Send $25-50 per month, for at least three months, directly to low-income and underserved households in Africa
- Support those living in Nairobi slums
To get involved, simply make a purchase of a dozen cookies or more, and select your preferred charity at checkout.
I want to hear how you’ve been giving back! Share your story with us for a chance to be featured on our blog, celebrating the different ways we’ve found to support the community. Tag us on Instagram with @pinckneycookie and #InThisTogether, on Facebook at Pinckney Cookie Cafe or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.