Racial Justice Charities We're Supporting Together
Thank you for your incredible response to our COVID-19 charitable efforts and to our inclusion on lists of Black-owned businesses! We’re thrilled to announce that as of August 2020, we’ve raised over $12,000. We are proud to be part of such a supportive community during these difficult times.
To help in the pursuit of racial equality and to give back and encourage others to join the fight, we’re shifting our focus to charities supporting racial justice. With every purchase of a dozen cookies or more, Pinckney Cookie Cafe will donate $5 to one of the following charities of your choice.
We will continue to donate to COVID-19 relief efforts. Learn more about the national and international charities we’re supporting here.
I’ve been supporting the Southern Poverty Law Center for years. By demonstrating how racism is an educational issue, they challenge prejudice and create inclusive school communities. Their community of educators now numbers more than 500,000. Donating will help:
- Provide educational resources to educators and schools
- Monitor and track hate groups
- Win systemic reforms to benefit victims of discrimination
The African American Cultural Heritage Fund is the largest preservation campaign of its kind in the United States. It shares the stories of African American achievement and aims to expand our understanding of American history. Donating will help:
- Provide grants to places and organizations that preserve African American history
- Empower youth by teaching them preservation trades while working to rehabilitate historical sites
- Support HBCUs (Historically Black Colleges and Universities)
As a Black small business owner, empowering future entrepreneurs is important to me. Black & Brown Founders provides support and education to Black and Latinx entrepreneurs so they can learn how to successfully launch their tech businesses and close the wealth gap. Donating will help Black & Brown Founders:
- Provide boot camps to teach entrepreneurs how to utilize skills to create successful businesses
- Give future business leaders the knowledge of how to launch a startup without relying on venture capital
The National Urban League fights for a world with no equality gaps in jobs, housing and health. The organization has served over 1.7 million people. Donating to them will help:
- Support programs that provide educational opportunities for young African Americans, including offering mentorship and resources not always available in classrooms
- Provide services that make housing more accessible to minority communities
- Deliver sustainable health care to underserved communities
Black Lives Matter (BLM)
Founded in 2013, Black Lives Matter began as a response to violence against Black people and has grown into a global organization that promotes giving Black people the power to succeed socially, economically and politically. Donating to them will help:
- End state-sanctioned violence against Black people
- Fight disinformation online
- Empower Black people and end systemic discrimination and violence
Over 110 years old, the NAACP strives to ensure political, educational, social and economic equality for all people and to end racist discrimination. With over 2,200 units and branches across the country and more than 2 million activists, it is the largest civil rights organization in the United States. Donating to them will help:
- Remove barriers of racial discrimination
- Educate people about their constitutional rights and the adverse effects of racial discrimination
To contribute, simply make a purchase of a dozen cookies or more, and select one of these charities at checkout.
I want to hear how you’ve been giving back! Share your story with us for a chance to be featured on our blog, celebrating the different ways we’ve found to support the community. Tag us on Instagram with @pinckneycookie, on Facebook at Pinckney Cookie Cafe or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.